Monday, April 30, 2012

Eating Animals - by Johnathan Saffron Fore

On our road trip to visit family this weekend, M and I listened to Eating Animals by Johnathan Saffron Fore on tape.  While the book was horridly edited - repetitive, rambling and poorly organized, the content was shocking. 

Previous to reading this book, I was unaware of the environmental impact that factory farms have, outweighing the impact of our transportation choices.  While I knew that some animals were not treated well in factory farms, I assumed it was the exception rather than the norm.  I now know better.

As a result, as of today, I am a selective omnivore.  While I have nothing against eating meat in general, I will not stand for negative environmental impact and the inhumane treatment of animals just to satisfy my personal taste buds.  From here on out, I will attempt to only eat meat if I can confirm its origin - a humane family farm using the best possible slaughterhouse.  For all practical purposes, I am a vegetarian.

Of course, I already screwed up.  I went down to the cafeteria to buy lunch today, and I picked up a dish that said "small Caesar salad".  I inspected it to make sure there was no chicken (knowing that this low quality Caesar was not made w/ real anchovies).  I purchased it.

Upon getting upstairs, I realized that there was, in fact, chicken.  Sad day.

Because my effort is on principle, I do not want to monetarily support factory farm meat producers, I have, of course, already financially supported them.  This is not something I can change.  I ate the chicken.

I will never, in the future, buy this dish again.

No comments:

Post a Comment