Monday, March 5, 2012

Target & the Environment?

So, after discovering our monitary difficulties with shopping at the Linden Hills Co-Op, I decided to take a look at what Target provides in terms of a sustainable commitment.  This is what I found:

http://hereforgood.target.com/environment/

Overall, Target does have environmental goals set to reduce emissions, conserve water, and reduce waste going to landfills.  They started a guest-facing recycling program in every store starting in 2009, and they they do have product selections in household cleaning/chemicals, home, and food (organics) available for the eco-minded guest.  I am happy to see what is in place.

However, I would like to see Target move faster.  Given their long term commitment to the community (5% of profits are given back to the community every quarter without fail, even when investors would rather see that profit), and their efforts to move toward sustainable fish, recycling, and packaging, wish they could incorporate sustainable packaging into an owned-brand brand standard.

For example, Target develops high quality owned brand products.  In grocery, their high quality food is Archer Farms, and the healthy variety is Archer Farms Simply Balanced.  In order for a product to be classified as Archer Farms, it must have a cleaner ingredient deck, be of better quality and, in the case of Simply Balaced, be better for you.  Why, if brand standards already exist, does Target just celebrate minor packaging wins, like slightly more eco-friendly yogurt and chip bags?  Why can it not be a requirement to have sustainable packaging?  They make other sweeping declarations, like trans-fats are no longer allowed in owned-brand groceries, but they haven't made any such sweeping moves for the environment.

Again, I do praise Target for the things they already do.  They use diverse models, and they don't boast about it - this helps us change the mindset of racism and sexism in America.  They support our communities, with a focus on education, and they do put time and effort into designing sustainable buildings.  But, because I believe in Target and the impact they can make, I want to see more. 

Come on Target, you can make the world a better place!

No comments:

Post a Comment